Sunday, October 16

Dead Words

If you know me well enough you know I love the holidays. Putting up decorations is something that I have enjoyed since I was little. Now that I have my own classroom it was obvious I would have to decorate it too! Before I put anything up I asked the class if they would like a few Halloween decorations and of course they said yes! I added some cute table clothes, we wrote spooky stories and I covered them in spider webs. Lastly,  I put a few pumpkins and rats around the room-- the rats have got to be their favorite. :)
The last touch was something that a co-worker told me about.  When you read the students writing they constantly use the same words... "It was so fun" "My friend is nice" My mom is pretty and she is nice"

After a while it gets to be so annoying. So I decided to put up a "dead word wall." We put up "dead" words that the students can't use in their writing anymore. On top I put... Here lies some great words that were used to death! The kids really loved that part. Then I put the student in groups and they looked up words that they could use instead. It turned out so cute! Here is a picture of the dead word all. I still need to take a picture of the wall with the new words up. Such a cute idea!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment